January 3, 2010 - お雑煮 (Ozouni)



Happy new year!

A new year in my mind cannot be complete without having "ozouni", which is a traditional Japanese soup with mochi (sticky rice cake), vegetables, and dashi (stock).  What you put in the soup depends on the part of the country you're from, which is Nagoya in my case.  Ozouni from Nagoya is known for its light flavour and simple ingredients.  For the first time I made dashi from scratch, using katsuo (bonito flakes), and konbu (kelp), and like anything made from scratch, it was well worth the time.  It was a comforting start to the new year.

3 comments:

jazzjazz said...

Add chicken, shiitake, kamaboko, komatsuna...

maimai said...

If you look closely, there's shiitake in it, but the other ingredients I'll keep in mind for next year!

jazzjazz said...

Oh...sorry... I LOVE shiitake!!! I want MORE!