May 10, 2010 - Taste of India


If you have some leftover lamb in your freezer, it's a good opportunity to make some lamb curry.  Tonight I picked this recipe.  For us, making curry doesn't involve rushing to the grocery store with a long list of ingredients, since we already have most Indian spices in our pantry.


As a side, I decided to try this Kachumber recipe.  Apparently "kacha" means raw or uncooked in Hindi. This dish is made from raw vegetables cut into small pieces, reminiscent of Mexican salsa. It was a simple yet refreshing contrast to the curry.  


My impression of Indian cuisine = spicy food + really REALLY sweet desserts

I am usually not a fan of their sweets, but rice pudding is an exception!  Prior to immersing myself in Indian cuisine, I remember being very hesitant to try rice pudding.  Rice and milk just seemed like a weird combination to me.  I'm glad I tried it.  Unfortunately there is no link to this recipe because it's from my Vij's cookbook (Vij's is a fine-dining Indian restaurant in Vancouver).


And why not complete the meal with some cold mango lassi?  Sorry, no link for the same reason as above.  If it's mango season, use fresh ataulfo mangoes (the yellow ones, not the red and green ones - huge difference in flavour!)

2 comments:

Zee said...

I never make Lassi. do we need blender for this?

maimai said...

Ideally you would use a blender, but if you're using pureed mango out of a can, I think you can do without.