May 25, 2010 - Seafood Paella


A nice weekend out in Vancouver in May is rare, so we decided to make the most out of it by crabbing at Ambleside Park.  Our track record crabbing in Vancouver had been unimpressive, so we didn't go with high expectations. But, as you can see, it was a success!  We caught one red rock crab that was exactly the minimum size we are allowed to keep.  Not a millimeter bigger.  I think he's posing quite nicely for the photo, isn't he?


Being on the dock all afternoon made us crave a good seafood paella.  Using this recipe, I made it special by using a Spanish rice called bomba rice, which authentic paella should be made from.  Usually I use arborio rice since that's the only type available in my local grocery store, but today I found a store that carries bomba.   I can't wait to get an actual paella pan some day.  I know I don't really need it considering how many times I make paella in a year, but I just think it'd make a big difference in the texture of the rice.

As a finishing touch I let Mr. Crab be the centre of my paella. Don't forget to drizzle fresh lemon juice on everything. Yum!

4 comments:

Zee said...

... I am trying to make this at the weekend.. >.<

I found.. less Rice is better

maimai said...

really! are u making sangria too? i made gazpacho this week and it was good =)

Zee said...

no I don't want to make Sangria...

how come your paella is watery?

maimai said...

that's a very good question.. i took the photo while it was still cooking, but ya you're right, the rice turned out a bit soggy (again!)